Sunday 9 June 2013

Teaching Navigation and Supervising Duke of Edinburgh

Last Saturday, Keith and I went on the Mountain Training Association CPD weekend at Glenmore Lodge. We chose a Teaching Navigation course which was really useful getting lots of tips on how to make nav super simple for beginners :)

Sadly we didnt stay on for Sunday as we had to get back to collect the pup who was being looked after for us. Although it wasnt all bad, we had a good wee blast at Yair forest in the borders on Sunday with the bikes.

For the rest of the week (mon-fri) I was helping out with the Gold Duke of Edinburgh for George Heriot's School. I had certainly not missed the horrendous army beds and damp stench of the lodge, but there was good food (even though it wasn't served up until after 10pm), and it was awesome being back out in the summery hills.

On Tuesday whilst the kids were completing their walks, most of us headed up Stob Ghabar (the closest munro to the lodge we were staying in). I had been up here before, but hadn't experienced the awesome weather we had - The Ben was in full view!

view from summit looking SE

The Ben out of the cloud (centre of photo in the distance)
On Wednesday it was Beinn a' Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain. I hadn't actually done these two munros before so was good to get a couple more ticked off. Sadly no pictures of the blue skies here as my phone had no memory left!

Keith came up with Lilly (the doggy) to join me for the day on Thursday before I was needed for campsite visits. We planned a couple of hills but it was far too hot for Lil in her fur coat (and even too hot for us - a balmy 23degrees!), so we ending up chilling by the river in Glen Orchy - nice relaxing day!

The view the kids had from one of the campsites - not bad!

I'm back in Edinburgh for the weekend - was manning our scouts pioneering stall at the Ratho gala day yesterday, followed by a BBQ with some friends. Now I'm packing up again as Keith and I are away into the hills for the next three days, should be good.

Janey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home